Monday, November 9, 2009

Open Mic Jitters

(ctt)-- note (ctt) means clearing of the throat.

(ctt) "Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other is gold. A circle is round but never ends, that's how long you should keep your friends"

Lol I had to take it back to Girl Scouts with that song. And it's very appropriate, seeing as how this blog is mostly about my editor. I was a girl scout back in the day, made it to Juniors and then I stopped. I remember in Brownies (wow that almost 20 yrs ago) we would end each meeting with the "Make new friends" song.

My editor has been my friend for as long as I can remember. We grew up together in the same neighborhood and have been friends for-ev-er. We used to go to Girl Scouts together and she is currently an assistant troop leader (sorry if I have the title wrong Tan!)

We talk everyday and this morning she suggested that I go to the Up&Up open mic with her tomorrow. I've been meaning to go for the longest and decided hey why not, especially since I have Wednesday off. Lol well come to find out, I don't have this Wednesday off for Veteran's Day (so glad my coworker let me know!) but that is neither here nor there.

In the midst of our random conversation, she and another friend of hers suggested that I read a portion of my book at open mic night. I instantly got NERVOUS and excited. I've been on this whole kick of I need to get over my stage fright these last few months. I'm gonna be a rockstar one day and I have to not be nervous singing and reading in front of folks. Lol I try to sing in the Metro and in front of friends but I still get the jitters.

What's crazy is that I get ridiculously nervous but I always get it together and sound on point once I'm in front of people. Case in point, I delivered a bangin (if I do say so myself) speech at one of my best friend's wedding back in June. I was so freakin nervous but I got up there and killed it.

Hopefully I will be able to do the same tomorrow night. Lol I told Tan I will be at the bar getting comfy with my liquid courage until she arrives.

She is truly the best and I love her so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment